Re: Fw: help win winxp install

You too. <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU>. Reformatted.

Morgan Gangwere wrote:
On 1/8/07, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh <AT> cygwin <DOT> com> wrote:
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And here too - <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

Sam The Cat wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Hall (Cygwin)"
> <reply-to-list-only-lh <AT> cygwin <DOT> com>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. No need to feed the spammers.

> Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 9:37 PM
> Subject: Re: Fw: help win winxp install
>

>> Sam The Cat wrote:
>>> figure this one out (I think)
>>>
>>> the first pass of the gcc (cc1) was looking for a dll "cygintl-3.dll"
>>> this could not be found. I did find "cygintl-8.dll" which shows
>>> modification as of 10/22/2006. Not sure if it is a complete fix but
>>> I copied the "cygintl-8.dll" file and renamed it "cygintl-3.dll" and
>>> the gcc now passes a rudementaly hello.c complile.
>>>

>> That's a truly terrible way to solve your problem. A better way would
>> have
>> been to consult <http://cygwin.com/packages/> to find the package you
>> were
>> missing (libintl3) and install it. I recommend you do that
>> immediately if
>> you don't want to suffer from more problems as a result of your attempt
>> above.
>>
> ok -- I accept that my sol'n was not optimal but how do I accomplish what
> you suggesting ? On the web site I see there 5 versions of the
> interntionalization library but on the setup tool where I specify what
> package to isntall I am only given the option for the latest. How do I
> install a package that I need that setup does not offer me ?

Try another mirror. <ftp://mirrors.dotsrc.org> showed me the libintl, linintl1, libintl2, libintl3, and libintl8 packages. As long as you can find the package at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>, there's going to be at least one mirror out there with the package in question.

well, there is a fundamental flaw here in the distribution system then.
i have looked at the versions from (agast!) three different mirrors
and they have so far been completely different. i have found (long
ago, dont know if this was fixed) a version 0.3.4 of bash _on_ that
mirrors package list. o think what we need to do in _this_ case is to
*standardise* (oh my! standardization!) because if we're not careful
we'll end up in DLL HELL.
i propose a round-robin approach, **I am _not_ saying i will do it**
its just a good idea.. that would make it so that if a new version of
the package came out, the main server would have it and we would have
to say WASFM... its too hard

Mirrors are not a controlled hierarchical system.  Mirrors *pull* information
from cygwin.com.  cygwin.com does not *push* this information out.

If you have any questions about how mirrors are handled and where to report
those that seem out-of-date to you for some unreasonable period of time, see -
<http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746