Where is Gnu compiler itself?

Dear Cygwin,

I have downloaded the complete Cygwin environment from several of your mirror sites onto my Windows XP system, but I never seem to get the Gnu C compiler itself.? This manifests itself in two ways: 1) although /bin ends up full of executables, gcc.exe is never among them; and 2) no matter what directory I put my "test .c" file in and make my current directory, the command to compile:

> gcc test.c -o test.exe

always produces this error message:

bash: gcc: command not found

Can you help me?? I must be doing something stupid.

Regards,
Glenn Smith
Chicago, IL
gsmith@tecnova.com