Re: latest iconv hangs

That message tells you exactly what it means.  You need to reboot
because it is attempting to replace in-use DLLs, which Windows isn't
good at.  Long story short, it does it by telling Windows "Next time
you start, please copy this file over that file before loading."  Just
restarting bash isn't enough, since the DLLs are requested
dynamically, and haven't actually been changed until you reboot.

~Matt

On 10/28/06, Mike Maxwell <maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:
Charles Wilson wrote:
> Mike Maxwell wrote:
>> Charles Wilson wrote:
>>  > Did setup.exe warn you to reboot?
>>
>> Yes, it did.  I assumed that when it told me that, it just meant to
>> close down the bash process(es) that I had opened, and start them
>> again.   I did that.  Did it instead mean I was supposed to reboot
>> windows? That I have not tried (yet).
>
> Yes.

That seems to have fixed iconv, thanks.

Now my .bashrc file produces a dozen error msgs. Sigh...

(BTW, methinks the reboot msg could be a bit clearer.  I realize that's
not your "product".)
--
        Mike Maxwell
        maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu