Re: Problem running cygwin with 3rd party dll

greg <at> kinostudios <dot> com wrote:
Larry Hall wrote:
Sounds to me like you have a case of:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.programming.msvcrt-and-cygwin>

But noticing your environment calls out two other things.  You have a
pretty
old version of Cygwin (1.5.19) in your installation directory
(C:/cygwin/bin)
and an *ancient* version (1.3.22) in your c:/WinAVR/bin directory.  Both
are
visible in your path.  That's a *big no-no*.  I suggest removing the
ancient
version.  You should also consider upgrading your older installation at
some
convenient time in the future.
> Thanks for the reply.  I'm new to cygwin (and windows development) so I
> still don't understand a lot of this.  I've replaced the cygwin1.dll file
> with the latest snapshot and removed the WinAVR stuff from the Path
> environment variable (not my computer, don't even know what that is), but
> the problem persists.
>
> What's interesting is that I get a different error telling me that the
> camera could not be found if it's not plugged in (and the library even
> prints an error via fprintf), and this error if it is plugged in, so it
> definitely seems like it's trying to run driver code and crashing.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to MSVCRT*.DLL (again, I'm new
> to windows).
>
> Just in case I screwed something up, I'm attaching the latest
> configuration information again.

MSVCRT*.DLL is the VC++ C runtime. Cygwin has it's own so you have to be *real* careful to not mix the two in any way. Doing so can cause crashes.

Your environment in general looks OK now.  I see that you're even trying a
snapshot of the Cygwin DLL.  Good for you! ;-)  This is somewhat bleeding
edge code though so if you suspect an issue is Cygwin-based, drop back to
1.5.21 (or 1.5.19 if you must) to make sure that it's not something new.

Holliston, MA 01746