RE: Does 'ar' work with native MS Windows libs?

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> If 'ar' insists on backslash separators that is surely a bug.

You may be right, but please stop calling me Shirley. :-)

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> Why is that?  If 'LIB.EXE' will work with either and 'ar' as a Cygwin
> app prefers '/', why would working with a .lib produced by 'LIB.EXE'
> containing '\' separators make 'ar' work better?

Perhaps ar doesn't prefer either. It strips the directory
name when you add files. It does tolerate directories in
the form that LIB.EXE would normally generate (i.e., with
backslashes).

Yes, it is still arguably a bug if ar cannot handle files
that LIB.EXE can produce, although there may be a reason.
It's been a while since I looked into the internals of
archive files, but I vaguely remember that slashes have a
special meaning when found in archive directories.

gsw