1.5.21 Forked background processes

Hello All,

When running as a background process, forking using `backtick` assignments
causes the process to die and leaves the forked process in a defunct state. This
seems like a sever problem with cygwin process handling and I was wandering if
anyone else in this group has ran into this.

Here is an example that will reproduce the problem:

file1.sh:
#!/usr/bin/bash

./file2.sh &

file2.sh
#!/usr/bin/bash

while [ 1 ]
do
     val=`echo $val`
     val=$((val + 1))
     echo $val
done

After running ./file1.sh, the background process will die very quickly
as seen with 'echo $val' (100 - 150) and leave the forked (backtick) process in
what appears to be in a defunct state. This will still appear as a
process, as seen with 'ps', even though it appears defunct ( check out
link /proc/âpid>/cwd or file /proc/âpid>/cmdline). This does not
happen if I remove the backtick assignment from file2.sh as well.

I've posted this problem in the past and haven't recieved a response. I've seen
this with 1.5.19-4 and 1.5.20.

Thanks for any info,
->Steve