RE: ruby irb doesn't seem to work

On 11 August 2006 16:20, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 11 August 2006 15:31, Will Parsons wrote:

>>> Unsetting the variable seems to fix the problem.  Apparently, I'd
>>> installed a non-Cygwin version of Ruby (which I didn't even remember
>>> doing), and this interferes with the Cygwin version.
>>
>>   LOL, this happens so often and with so many languages it deserves an
>> acronym.
>>
>>   TCOASSA!
>
> And that would stand for?..

  The Curse of ActiveState Strikes Again!

  Seriously, if it's not ruby, it's perl, or python, or tcl, or .....  Do they
do it on purpose, or what?

>>   The missing R is still a clue though.
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------<
>> dk@rainbow /artimi/tools/linux> ruby --help
>> Usage: ruby [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]    [ ... snip ... ]
>>   -rlibrary       require the library, before executing your script
>> ---------------------------------------------------<
>>
>>   So, I dunno if "RUBYOPT=-rrubygems" would work better.  Not without
>> having rubygems installed, anyway, I don't suppose.  Or perhaps it's one
>> of those awful puns like "-liberty".
>
> It is, actually, FWICS.

  Actually a pun, or actually awful?  ;-)  (Yeh, I noticed that there is both
a 'rubygems.rb' and a 'ubygems.rb', which is why I thought it might be a pun).

>>   Hmm.  It suggests here:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2497&group_id=126&atid=
576
>> that it's actually the cygwin package that sets the RUBYOPT variable,
>> even though it doesn't come with the rubygems library.  If so, that
>> would be a packaging issue.  OTOH, a quick scan through the package
>> listing for cygwin ruby doesn't show any postinstall script that could
>> have done that, so I'm not so sure if the report is accurate: I think
>> you've probably put your finger on it.
>
> FWIW, a postinstall script cannot set an environment variable -- it would
> have to be set in an /etc/profile.d script.

/etc/postinstall/foo.sh.done:

#!/bin/bash
echo > /etc/profile.d/foo.d "export FOOOPTS=hahaha"

 :)

>  But you're right -- ruby
> doesn't come with one (and I don't have RUBYOPT set, even though I have
> the latest Cygwin ruby installed).

  At first I was very surprised to find that RUBYOPT /was/ set in my
environment.  I thought maybe it was a packaging issue after all.

   .

   .

   .

  Then I realised I'd just done it myself while trying to reproduce the irb
problem!

    cheers,
      DaveK