Re: cygwin copy problems usb 2.0

Christopher Faylor schrieb:
On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 11:11:07PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Jul 27 13:48, aldana wrote:
isn't there a possibitly that cygwin provides a quicker
cp-implementation?  i mean 4 minutes for a copy of 70MB to a memstick
(instead of CopyFile() 20 sec.) is not really good performance.  i
guess there is a reason for that...
Right, how did you know?  The reason is that cp is a portable
implementation using simple reads and writes to perform the copy.
There's no such thing as a CopyFile routine on POSIX systems.

A few weeks ago there was a guy in libc-alpha mailing list complaining that glibc's API wasn't as rich and powerful as what is found on Windows.

As far as I know he's still alive.

Well, this brave guy has a point. :)

I'm really seeing the non-optimized cygwin cp behaviour causing bad reputation, which could be easily patched and maybe even accepted upstream. Who knows. Eric what do think? Would it be worthful to think about?

My USB transfers are also way to slow, because we are copying our hourly radio shows (80 MB) onto the stick every week. Everyone is angry. Linux USB drivers are very unstable, so windows has a good reputation there.

BTW: Windows Explorer is even faster than Total Commander. We tested it.
--
Reini