Re: When ssh'd in, cannot run MS compiler /Zi debug option.

Mark Charney wrote:
mwoehlke <mwoehlke <at> tibco.com> writes:
Fatal Error C1902: Program database manager mismatch; please check your installation.

Actually, you might want to read <http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=357051&SiteID=1>.

This seems to be a problem with cl.exe, NOT Cygwin (and yes, I have the exact same problem). At the very least, Interix's SSH has the same issue. There is supposed to be a hotfix, the name of which is mentioned in another thread linked via the above thread, but you have to go through Microsoft support to get it .

(If you do get it, I would really appreciate a copy .)

Thanks. Actually, I'm one of the posters on that thread that that thread links to.

Ah, didn't check the names. :-)

 I received the hotfix Tuesday (and it does *not* work for me.  (Spent all
day on the phone!) I've got an open case w/ Microsoft and they don't really
understand the issue yet, as far as I can tell. Cygwin baffles them. Now that I
know that i need to add some rights to the sshd_server account for public key
auth, I think I might have a hope of getting help from MS, but not sure yet.

Ok, well please keep us updated; thanks!
(All the same, would you mind passing a copy of that hotfix this way? Maybe I'll get lucky...)

Using password authentication does work, and is a sufficent workaround. I'm
still trying to figure out what  Corinna was referring to with this:
    add the user account sshd_server resp. SYSTEM to
    the list of users which can access the "Program database", whatever
    that is.

Right... I didn't quite understand that either, although it sounds like Corinna making a WAG about the pdb program (I'm not reassured by "whatever that is" :-)). Possibly MS would be more helpful here. Although given how unclear the original suggestion was, it's probably correct ;-).

For those fortunate enough to be uneducated (i.e. fortunate enough to not have to use MS compilers): A "program database" is a .pdb file generated alongside a .exe that contains the debugging information (line numbers and such). MS, in their "infinite wisdom" decided there should be a completely separate tool to generate the critter, which seems to be problematic at best. Of course, these are the same folks that built identically-named, completely *separate* compilers for 32-bit and 64-bit. No nice '-m32'/'-m64' flags here!

So, the problem is that something about the pdb tool breaks when using password-less login under ssh (whether or not it's Cygwin ssh).

Anyway, my workaround has just been to not use ssh for now.

--
Matthew
"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad... You must be, or you wouldn't have come here." -- The Cheshire Cat