This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
RE: Cgywin filename with 255 character
- From: Jörg Schaible <Joerg dot Schaible at Elsag-Solutions dot com>
- To: <cygwin at cygwin dot com>
- Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:01:40 +0200
- Subject: RE: Cgywin filename with 255 character
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 4:50 PM:
> Windows places a limit on the number of ASCII characters in a
> file/path name. It's approximately 260 characters. Cygwin path
> may cut that down
> a bit.
Is there any pointer at MS, where this is described exaclty? I was only able to find some entries in the knowledge base that describe applications that are affected by this limit, but nowhere an explanation under what circumstances a process/application is hit by this limit.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html