Re: problem with subshells or childs?

Have you tried something like (with explicit .exe extension):

/bin/rsync -Cavz -e "/usr/bin/ssh.exe" /cygdrive/d/ server:/home/ml/backups/

Probably won't help.
As both with or without extension work for me.

Regards,
Kiyo

ml wrote:
Hi!

[...]
If you call sh like this, sh will try to run the file as shell script.
And of course ls is not a shell script.
To run a binary command (or any command actually) with sh, the command should be:

sh -c ls
[...]
i need some help with this:
My plan was to use rsync via ssh from a bash script. But rsync could not run ssh for whatever reason: no such file or directory.

For quicker checking, invoking "bash -e ls" or just "sh ls" shows the same problem - see below.

sh -c ls works. However, the the original problem was that this little shell script is not working:

#!/usr/bin/sh
/bin/rsync -Cavz -e "/usr/bin/ssh" /cygdrive/d/ server:/home/ml/backups/

Error is:
rsync: Failed to exec "ssh: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/pipe.c(83)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/rsync-2.6.6/io.c(434)

rsync cannot find /usr/bin/ssh, but it is there.
I also tried just "ssh", since it is in the path and /bin/ssh.

Thanks,
ml