RE: Problems with NFS server

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 12:21 +0200, Nicolas Boudin wrote:
> >   Could you please try adding a map_static directive to your exports?
> > It should then look something like this:
> >
> > /usr/src/buildroot-20060308/build_arm/root
> > 172.16.7.65(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map,no_root_squash)
> >
> >   If you ran the nfs-server-config script to set up the
> > nfs-server, then
> > you should already have an /etc/nfs/server.map file that was
> > created for
> > you by the setup script.  If not, you can create it, with the
> > following contents:
> >
> > ----- CUT -----
> > # Sample server map for nfsd
> > #
> > # This file maps 500/500 on an NFS client to the uid/gid of the
> > # user who ran nfs-server-config, and maps 0/0 on an NFS client
> > # the uid/gid of the Administrator account.
> > #
> > # Note that a server map is host-specific (which makes sense,
> > # if you think about it...)  So you can only use a plain IP
> > # address or DNS name to specify a client that uses a static_map.
> > #
> > # Examples of valid /etc/exports lines using map_static:
> > #
> > #   /gaunt   192.168.1.42(map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)
> > #   /chaney  twilley(map_static=/etc/nfs/server.map)
> > #
> > uid     500     xxxxx   # user id - replace 'xxxxx'
> > gid     500     yyyyy   # group id - replace 'yyyyy'
> > uid     0       500     # user id for Administrator
> > gid     0       513     # group id for Administrator
> > ----- CUT -----
>
> This file was properly created with correct xxxxx and yyyyy. For Administrator I had only:
> uid 0
> gid 0
> but the map_static directive don't seem to have any influence on my error.

Sorry about the delay in responding, Nicolas.

Some things to check:

  - If I'm understanding you correctly, it seems like your server.map
didn't get created properly.  For the administrator uid and gid entries,
there should definitely be a mapping of id '0' to the appropriate cygwin
system administrator uid/gid.  You can find these using 'id -u
administrator' and 'id -g administrator' from a cygwin bash shell.  If
these aren't present, then the NFS server may have a problem obtaining
permissions to read/write files on the NFS mount.

  - In your original message, you mentioned that you are running Windows
XP.  Do you have a firewall running on that system that might be
interfering with NFS? You'll need to make sure that ports 111 and 2049
are open for TCP and UDP traffic.  Microsoft provides information about
opening ports in the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall on their
web site at http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/ports.asp.

-Samrobb