This is the mail archive of the cygwin mailing list for the Cygwin project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: bash and CSRSS consuming 100% of CPU

Thanks to several people for the "snapshot" suggestions.  I tried installing a  new snapshot but, unfortunately, that did not fix the problem.  Here's what I  did.  Maybe somebody can tell me whether I did something wrong.

I tried running this tar in a bash window on the affected machine:

$  /bin/tar -C/ -jxvf cygwin-inst-20060614.tar.bz2 --exclude=usr/bin/cygwin1.dll

The output you see above is how far it got after 30 minutes; only down to /usr/bin/dumper.exe.  Essentially 100% of the CPU was being occupied by bash and  CSRSS together (bash about 75%, CSRSS about 25%).  bzip2 and tar were showing up on the Windows Task Manager process listing, but they had accumulated 0 time according to the listing.  In other words, the very problem I was trying to fix was preventing me from un-tarring the fix, as almost all the CPU cycles were being taken by bash and CSRSS.  The extraction looked like it might take many hours, or might never complete. So I killed it and decided to try a different approach.

I am networked to a Linux machine, so I moved the tar file cygwin-inst-20060614.tar.bz2 over to the Linux machine, created a dummy cygwin directory to hold the file, and un-tarred it there using this command:

% /bin/tar -jxvf cygwin-inst-20060614.tar.bz2

Then I ftp'd the entire un-tarred file and directory structure over the cygwin directory of the affected Windows PC.  All the files seemed to copy over just fine.  Then I rebooted the PC and tried bringing up a bash window under cygwin.  Alas, after a few minutes, the "bash and CSRSS consuming 100% of CPU" problem popped up as usual.

Any other suggestions to fix this problem would be most appreciated.

-- Joe

p.s.  To answer Brett's question:  Yes, I am running virus and spyware protection software.  I run Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, Program version and scan engine  I run this at least once a week and I keep the virus definition file up-to-date (currently have version 6/14/2006 rev. 35).  I also run (at least once a week) Webroot Spy Sweeper, Program Version 4.5.3 (Build 560) with spyware definitions v 701, last updated 6/16/06.  I ran both of these Friday night on the affected machine, and it came up clean.

Attachment: cygcheck.out
Description: Binary data

Unsubscribe info:
Problem reports:

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]