This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
mv does copy instead of rename
- From: Richard Foulk <richard at skydive1 dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:23:28 -1000
- Subject: mv does copy instead of rename
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
In an Active Directory environment Windows Explorer was refusing to
rename a directory, presumably because the directory was open by
On trying mv under Cygwin to rename the directory, mv seemed to just
hang. It was a large directory and mv was actually copying the files
to the new named directory (on the same partition.)
Does this seem like appropriate behaviour? It was certainly unexpected.
I'm pretty sure mv is never supposed to do this on Unix.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html