This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)
- From: Ludovic Drolez <ludovic dot drolez at linbox dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 19:14:32 +0200
- Subject: cygwin + windows update = lock up (W2K SP4)
A few months ago someone reported (subj=Windows update vs. cygrunsrv) that
windows update and cygrunsrv fails when trying to update multimedia programs on
windows (MP, iTunes, etc). cygrunsrv uses nearly all cpu.
In fact, I use cygwin 1.5.19-4 and I can reproduce the bug with *any* cygwin
process (cygrunsrv, bash, cat, etc).
- run cmd.exe, go to the cygwin /bin directory and launch cat.exe
- on a W2K SP4, start windows update and install KB911564
- cat starts to consume 75% of the CPU and csrss.exe the 25% left
- the update will be stuck, and the only way to complete the update is to kill
It also fails with cygwin1-20060426.dll.
One strange thing is that cat continues to work, so one of the threads created
by cygwin seems to be the culprit.
Any hints on how to debug this problem would be appreciated !
Ludovic DROLEZ Linbox / Free&ALter Soft
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html