Re: popen() fails after 256 successful calls

Eric Lilja wrote:
Hello, I have two directories, both with ~4k files in them. For each directory I needed to calculate a SHA1 checksum on each file and store them in a table and then do some comparisons. I wrote a C++ program for this but I noticed popen() (which I use to invoke sha1sum.exe to calculate the checksum) would fail after 256 successful calls with the error "Resource temporarily unavailable". I rewrote the program in pure C and kept just the directory scanning/popen() part and tried a few directories but still the same error. Attached is the source for the C program, Makefile to build it and cygcheck output.

I believe you should use pclose, not fclose, to close the stream returned by popen.

Regards,
Robert