Re: cygdrive uses incorrect date

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Antoine Solomon wrote:

> Hello all,
> I have a serious problem with the date on "/cygdrive/" mount point.  I
> seem to get microsoft date function crash when running particular
> applications.
> The date function is called _loctotime() and it appears to be an
> internal function for windows.   Also here is the output of that
> particular directory and as you can see this is really screwed up.
> dr-xr-xr-x    6 0               0 Dec 31  1969 cygdrive
>
> Can I change the date?  Touch doesn't work, I tried:-(

You cannot change the date, as /cygdrive is a virtual filesystem, and its
stats are set within the main Cygwin DLL (you can, of course, patch
Cygwin and rebuild the DLL).

Now, the above date is equivalent to the value 0 of the "date" field
("1970-01-01, 00:00 GMT", converted to your time zone).  Funnily enough,
if you were in the GMT+k timezones, you would probably not have this
problem.

The main question is: how does the Microsoft date function even get to see
the date on /cygdrive?  /cygdrive is not visible to non-Cygwin
applications (unless it's a real directory, in which case its date as seen
by Windows would be very different from the one seen by Cygwin).

At this point, the standard <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPAST> request is
in order.  Please make sure your test case is (a) small, (b) complete
(i.e., builds OOTB using standard Cygwin tools), and (c) exhibits the
problem.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/