This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: whole-word matches searches of mailing list archive & packages
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:17:38 -0800
- Subject: Re: whole-word matches searches of mailing list archive & packages
- References: <43DBD7F5.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Fred Ma wrote:
> I was searching for whether the current cygwin has the "stat" command.
> This is for future reference, since I am unable to update my old
> cygwin installation at the moment. I eventually found that "stat"
> resides in coreutils, but I was wondering if there is a way to specify
> whole-word matches when searching either the mailing list archive or
> while performing a Setup Package Search. The reason is that some
> words are very common as partial words, so searches tend to come up
> with many unrelated hits. Thanks.
The search is a regular expression. If you are searching for a binary
of a particular name, use "/foo\.exe" which will anchor the match so
that it can only match a command by that name, i.e.
/some/path/to/foo.exe. See "man pcre" for more information.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html