This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Building binutils - BFD target names
- From: "Muhammad Haggag" <mhaggag at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:53:04 +0200
- Subject: Building binutils - BFD target names
I'm working on a project that requires the use of some
not-supported-by-default target formats (e.g. aout). So I downloaded the
binutils source from the cygwin installer (binutils-20050610-1), configured
and built it like so:
>/usr/src/binutils-20050610-1/configure --enable-targets=all --enable-shared
> --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
However, the build failed because a macro was redefined somewhere in
gas/config/obj-coff headers - I removed the redifinition and rebuilt, but it
still failed with:
>obj-coff.o: In function `coff_frob_symbol':
>reference to `_an_external_name'
So, I tried building it with only the formats I need. Tried:
Each and every build fails at [configure-bfd] complaining about the target
name being invalid - except with i386-aout32, where somewhere during the ld
build it says i386-pc-aout32 is invalid =/
I tried looking in /usr/src/binutils-20050610-1/bfd/config.bfd for the
target names (as the error advised), but I couldn't extract anything
meaningful from there.
- What are the target names, or where do I find a listing?
- Is there a way to build with all formats (workaround for the coff error)?
- Am I doing anything wrong?
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html