This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: Warning: Never use M$ files+settings transfer wizard to move a cygwin installation.
- From: cygwin at trodman dot com (Tom Rodman)
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:51:19 -0600
- Subject: Re: Warning: Never use M$ files+settings transfer wizard to move a cygwin installation.
- References: <002201c622a1$f1ebf690$a501a8c0@CAM.ARTIMI.COM>
<sorry if this is OT for the list>
On Thu 1/26/06 17:57 GMT "Dave Korn" wrote:
> I made the terrible mistake of trying to use M$ migwiz.exe to
> recover my old cygwin installation from a dead machine's drive to a
> new one.
> I thought it might be just a simple archiver that would conveniently
> help move all my stuff across without losing ACLs and so on.
I use ntbackup (backing up to a file), it preserves the DACL, owner and
posix group. I have a wrapper bash script for ntbackup , so I can call
it from with in an ssh session.
If your moving to a new domain, you can do all sorts of DACL, owner,
and posix group, (recursive) edits with "setacl":
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html