Re: cygwin and rsync

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Ken Senior wrote:

> I am at home today and cannot perform all of these, but on the Linux ->
> Windows, I was able to issue the rsync on [LOCAL/Linux] and then attach
> to the rsync process on [REMOTE/Windows] using gdb with the resulting
> backtrace output:
>
> $ gdb rsync 3032
> GNU gdb 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs (cygwin-special)
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...
> Attaching to program `/usr/bin/rsync.exe', process 280
> [Switching to thread 280.0xdb8]
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x7c901231 in ntdll!DbgUiConnectToDbg () from
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #1  0x7c9507a8 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #2  0x00000005 in ?? ()
> #3  0x00000004 in ?? ()
> #4  0x00000001 in ?? ()
> #5  0x18c0ffd0 in ?? ()
> #6  0x00018ca7 in ?? ()
> #7  0xffffffff in ?? ()
> #8  0x7c90ee18 in strchr () from /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #9  0x7c9507c8 in ntdll!KiIntSystemCall () from
> /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/ntdll.dll
> #10 0x00000000 in ?? () from
>
> This seems like a foreign language to me but maybe this screams
> something to someone?

Not really.  Most Cygwin applications are multi-threaded.  The above is
the output of one thread that's responsible for communicating with the
attached debugger -- it'll be the same for all applications, pretty much.

Use the 'info threads' command to see the list of all threads.  Then use
the 'thread TID' command to switch to thread TID, and 'backtrace' to get a
backtrace for that thread.

See if any of the backtraces tell *you* something before posting all of
them to the list.

> My chief purpose for all of this is to allow automatic backups onto a
> Linux file server from various systems (initiating on the Linux box),
> including Windows PCs.  This has been a project for some time, but after
> many different Runs-Linux-on-Windows distributions, I have met with
> little success.  But, I will press on with hope.  I've certainly learned
> a lot---as a non-IT person that is.

IMO, the best way to become an expert on something is to explore that
something with little initial knowledge.  :-)  Good luck!
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"