Re: services not starting with 20060104 snapshot

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Brett Serkez wrote:

> > > Try using a graphical debugger like ddd or insight.  Should be able
> > > to start either as the service,
> >
> > Huh?  No, that doesn't work.  I need a service wrapper program (like
> > cygrunsrv), but cygrunsrv can't spawn processes, apparently.
>
> I see.  While I've not used this method with services per se, I've used
> it with other background processes, didn't foresee the service_main.
>
> You should be able attach to the running service process with gdb, from
> the manual:
>
> You can, instead, specify a process ID as a  second  argument,  if  you
> want to debug a running process:
>
>        gdb(1,4) program 1234
>
> The trick is where will the program be when you attach.  To resolve
> this, code *like* the following can be inserted just prior to the
> point you want to start debugging:

Thank you, I'm well aware how to use gdb.  I also know how to insert
breakpoints into the compiled code (no need for an infinite loop, BTW --
Cygwin has its own mechanisms).

> {
> int a = 1;
>
>    while ( a )  ;
>
> }
>
> When you gain control you will be in the while, assign a value of 0
> to a and then start stepping thru the remaining code.

However, the trick is that there is *no* running service process for gdb
to attach to -- by the time I'm able to fire off gdb, the cygrunsrv
process is wa-ay past the point where it tries to fork off the daemon.  If
it were that simple, I would have already done this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"