RE: Can not Contact Domain Controller

When you (or other systems on the same network) login, does it take
literally about 5 minutes for your desktop to appear (in the meantime all
you get is a box saying something like "getting your personal settings" or
some such lie)?  If so, I know exactly what that is:  You domain controller
doesn't show up on your DNS server.  Now, that doesn't mean that you can
boot up, log on (even to a domain account), and (mostly, most of the time)
do whatever you need to do, but it does mean that you'll get errors like
this, have all sorts of other bizarre trouble, network stuff is way too
slow, etc etc.  Wanna know the truly pathetic part?  MS knows all about this
(it's existed since at least Why2K, and they have a useless KB article about
it), but for God knows what reason, REFUSES TO FIX IT.

To fix it, you basically have to set up MS's DNS server (it can be caching
or whatever) and MANUALLY add the domain controller lookup entry.  I don't
recall the step-by-steps on how to do that, nor do I wish to.  It's a total
disaster even when you know the cause.  I pity any of you IT types out
there.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle