Re: Please try a snapshot - final push for 1.5.19

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 12:17:09PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >I've been having problems with "fork: resource unavailable" on my machine
> >with the 10/03 snapshot.[snip]
> >
> >I'm at a loss on how to proceed.[snip]
> >[snip]
> >
> >Any pointers/advice would be appreciated.
>
> Below is the contents from "how-to-debug-cygwin.txt".  This file is
> found in the cygwin source directory.
> [snip]

A simple "you'd have to debug this yourself" would have sufficed, thank
you.  And I knew I would need to do this.  However, this kind of problem
is not covered in how-to-debug-cygwin.txt, for two reasons: a) it is not a
crash, and thus the JIT debugging instructions are useless, and b) it was
not reproducible under gdb, unfortunately -- only under strace.

I was hoping that the particular pattern in the strace would jump out at
someone familiar with the code.  I guess this is not the case, so I'll try
to get more understanding of the code and see if I can figure out the
problem myself.  At first glance, this looks like a PID reuse problem --
the PID is reused before the old pinfo structure could be released, and
with the high load, 20 loop iterations aren't enough to wait it out.  I
suspect that upping the NPIDS_HELD to 8 would at least work around the
problem -- would a patch like this be accepted if I could show that this
is the reason for the failure?

I'll post back when (and if) I have more info.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu