Re: ssh fails, missing cygcrypto-0.9.7.dll

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 11:33:46PM -0500, Swallow, Harold wrote:
>Thank you for the manual removal process.  I am working with another
>member of the cygwin support folks on dealing with the ssh recovery.

That's sort of hard to believe.  All of the support for the free release
of cygwin is done in this mailing list.  The people who know the product
the best use this mailing list exclusively.  Also, the cygwin mailing
list page makes it clear that support should be on the mailing list.

So, if someone else is helping you then it is probably just a
helpful-but-misguided cygwin mailing list lurker, not professionals like
Igor or Brian.

>The ssh I added was a cygwin release from another site.  It is seeking
>a cygwin crypto file, just an earlier release than you indicated that
>it should.  If it was a third party ssh, I suspect that it would not
>seek a cygwin crypto file.
>
>I will create an attachment if requested in the future.  Your
>instructions said attach not attachment.

When someone says "attach" in the context of email it means that you
should create an attachmen but even if that wasn't clear then the site
that Igor sent you to says this:

  # Run cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out and include that file as an
  attachment in your report.  Please do not compress or otherwise encode
  the output.  Just attach it as a straight text file so that it can be
  easily viewed.

So, there really is no cause for confusion.

In any event, you should really be installing the latest release of
openssh using the setup.exe program.  Running an older version of a
package like openssh is really not a good idea.

Even if you somehow managed to install an older release of a cygwin
openssh you still did it in a non-standard fashion since you didn't use
setup.exe.  Members of the highly trained cygwin support team know that
it's easy to install packages like openssh with setup.exe and are eager
to help you understand this fact so you really should avail yourself of
their services.

HTH.
--
Christopher Faylor			spammer? ->	aaaspam@sourceware.org