This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: permission denied while deleting the local copy of rsynced data
- From: Brian Dessent <brian at dessent dot net>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 18:33:27 -0800
- Subject: Re: permission denied while deleting the local copy of rsynced data
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: cygwin at cygwin dot com
> rsync: send_files failed to open "/cygdrive/c/Documents and
> Settings/winuser/NTUSER.DAT": Device or resource busy (16)
That is your HKCU hive. It is opened by the system in exclusive mode,
and no other process can read or write it. The purpose being that if
you want to access the registry, you go through the registry API. For
instance, each registry key can have an ACL, so it's possible to create
a registry key that is only readable by a particular user. But if
processes could just read the hive data on disk it would completely
bypass that security.
So you can't back up the registry that way, but that doesn't matter
because there are much better ways. For example "reg export HKCU
file.reg" and then backup file.reg.
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html