Re: Symbolic links with cvs

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Akshay Dua wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Unfortunately, we have .lnk files in our source control so I cannot
> avoid the following problem. When I try to checkout a symbolic link
> file, something happens to it and cvs is unable to stat it to set
> necessary file information. Its almost like cygwin changed the name of
> the file from under CVSs' feet. Can anyone help?
>
> U thirdparty/OPENSSL-0.9.7-BETA3/Makefile.lnk
> cvs checkout: cannot stat Makefile.lnk: No such file or directory
> cvs checkout: cannot set time on Makefile.lnk: No such file or directory
> cvs checkout: cannot stat Makefile.lnk: No such file or directory

As soon as you check out a .lnk file, it becomes a symlink, and Cygwin
will attempt to read the file that the symlink refers to.  If that file
doesn't exist (e.g., hasn't been checked out yet), any operations on the
symlink will fail (it will be a dangling link).  This is not a
Cygwin-specific issue (unless the .lnk in the name is an unfortunate
coincidence).  If you really are trying to commit a symlink to cvs, the
CVS manual says that this is not supported:
<http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/cvs-1.12.13/cvs_15.html>.

HTH,
	Igor
--