Error preparing make with .configure : another case of 'Device or resource busy'

My attempts to practice make are consistently failing in a './configure'
preparatory process.
A confession : doing a 'mkpasswd -d -l -u Tom_Axehult' does not recognize
the user I claim to be. Rather, remnants of creating members of my family as
users - in full names with spaces and all - of this XP Home edition machine
turn up. But I have done my best to remedy this condition by following
Corinnas's advice as best I can while editing /etc/passwd.

Am I cursed by shortcomings in so doing ?

Best regards,
/ Tom Axehult