1.5.12 ssh hangs on some machines when stdout has content

I have found that ssh hangs semi-consistently, when it's stdout is piped to
another process.

I say semi-consistently, because it's not happening on all of our machines,
but it is consistent for any of the problem machines.  Furthermore, the
command must actually produce output to standard out.  The remote command is
actually finishing, and as a far as I can tell, is terminating cleanly and
correctly.

Here is an easy way to reproduce it:

ssh user@remote-host ls -a | wc -l

The following work fine:

ssh user@remote-host ls -a
ssh user@remote-host ls -a >/dev/null

My cygcheck.out file is attached.  ssh reports it's version as SSH version
OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004

The destination host does not appear to matter (I've tested against
cygwin-sshd, and a linux box).

This has my very baffled, and concerned.  Any help appreciated.
David Corbin