Re: cygwin-setup & rebaseall

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Additionally, maintainers of these packages have (I believe) recently
> started compiling them with --enable-auto-image-base which should
> eliminate (or reduce) the need to rebase.

Ok so the problem is likely to go away for python users.

> > [for our tools] cygwin/python is a pre-requisite - and our users
> > appear to stumble across this issue regularly. And asking users to
> > always run rebaseall is an extra hurdle]
>
> Always running rebase after any setup operation seems like overkill.  It
> should only be necessary if you upgrade python or a dynamic library that
> python might load at runtime, and then only if python wasn't compiled
> with the above flag -- I don't know the current status of which
> maintainers are doing that.
>
> So, it seems to me like it would be a lot easier just to say "Run rebase
> if you get an "Unable to remap" error" instead of "Run rebase
> religiously after any setup operation."  Or, if you know that python
> triggers this problem then perhaps it should be, "Always run rebaseall
> after a clean install, and then don't worry about it again unless you
> get the "unable to remap" error."

Currently the burden is on [cygwin] users to know/keep track of this
info. And not all instructions/documetation get read by users. So each
time there is such a breakage, cygwin get a bad repo [why doesn't it
just work?]

So I hope cygwin can improve on this. Users seeing "Unable to remap"
errors [however infrequently] should be avoided - esp if it can be
automated.

[maybe the fix is: for any package that is likely to break - add a
flag - which triggers setup to run rebaseall - after
install/upgrade. So no overhead for pacakges that don't break - but
always overhead for packages that break.]

Thanks,
Satish