1.5.18-1: "DISPLAY is not set"

Hi,

I downloaded the latest version (2.510.2.2) of setup.exe from www.cygwin.com
the other day, and installed it along with several packages. When I tried to
run commands from the bash, I had some problems (e.g. that the path variable
was not correctly set). From the FAQ I found out that setup.exe was supposed
to create the file "etc/profile", but for some reason this had not been done -
the file did not exist. However, I did find the
file "/etc/defaults/etc/profile" which I copied into the "etc/" folder. After
having done that, cygwin now works fine for all purely text-based purposes.
However, when I try to run anything that demands a graphical display, e.g.
xterm, I get the error message:

xterm XT error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set

I'm guessing it might be the case that setup.exe was supposed to create a file
which sets DISPLAY when the bash is started, but that it did not for the same
reason that it did not create the "/etc/profile" file, whatever that reason
was. I have tried to experiment by creating a DISPLAY environment variable and
giving it different values I've seen used in other places (e.g. :0.0), but to
no avail - the bash then instead complains that it can't open that display. I
have also tried re-running setup.exe, but that did not help either.

Thus the most simple formulation of my question would be: How should I set
DISPLAY so that the programs demanding graphical displays will work?

If this question is not possible to answer because the correct value depends
on some factor or the other, my question is instead: Was setup.exe supposed to
create a file for setting the DISPLAY variable, and if so, is there any simple
way to aquire this file?

I use WinXP, in case that's relevant.

Thanks,

Markus