Re: Cygwin xfig eps problem

Mike Shi writes:

> Franz Haeuslschmid <lukrez <at> gmx.at> writes:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> I think I've found the reason for XFig's strange behavior.
>
> Franz - Well, you got further with the source than I did!

It was a great opportunity (and fun) to install Eclipse' CDT and
using Cygwin's tools to build and debug XFig.  And it was further
an incidental opportunity to refresh my knowledge of C/C++ :)

> Once I saw that (a) xfig always created files of the same name
> (based on the PID), (b) that file remained throughout the xfig
> session after an EPS import, and (c) that I was never able to
> see the file after doing the same with xfig running on Linux
> (since, as you discovered, it should get immediately deleted
> once xfig has used it!), I figured it was a windows
> filesystem/permissions type problem that was beyond my
> expertise and that I was unlikely to get much help with since
> (i) the majority of xfig users likely run it happily on *nix,
> and (ii) it appears that there aren't many cygwin users (i.e. 2
> at the moment!) who find the problem an annoyance ...

It may be that other XFig users are running Cygwin on a Windows
98 derivative.  Or use a temporary directory on a FAT partition.
But this is highly speculative right now.

> BUT, thanks to your curiosity and subsequent investigations, it
> seems that we may have an answer.
>
>> On the other hand, I'm wondering why `unlink' doesn't remove
>> the file as it should do.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help to you here ... ;-)

No problem there.  I think I'll suggest a patch in a new thread
to push that topic on top of this list.  There may be a reader
with better knowledge of C/C++ and its functions that can make
clear the issue with `unlink'.  I now even think that `unlink'
finally removes the file, however with a certain delay that is
enough to inhibit XFig from writing to the same file (now without
any file permission).

> Looks like I'll have to get the X11 development stuff installed
> on my box when I get back to it to try your idea. Thanks for
> your efforts - I'll let you know how it goes.

Good luck!
Franz.