RE: 1.5.x: Windows 2003 - no console output

> No, that means that the batch file is invoked, not the command.  What
> happens when you open a cmd.exe window and type "c:\cygwin\cygwin.bat"?

I tried all the permutations of those actions. Nothing.

> > But invoking bash by double-clicking cygwin.bat, is not any different
> > from manually starting cmd.exe and calling bash.
>
> It is different, unless you invoke bash with the exact command-line
> options it has in cygwin.bat.

Ok, I was aware of that, so I asked it under the assumption of the
environment vars being identical.

> > Since this wouldn't be the first time that I've been bugtracking for
> > days something that could be resolved by a restart, I restarted the
> > (production!) server yesterday. Also made no difference.
>
> Do you have anti-virus software of any sort running on the machine?  How
> about spyware detection?

Symantec Antivirus Server. No spyware found with Spybot. I'm not really
expecting any of this, but as the server runs an IMail server, an OpenSSH
server, IIS with a lot of ASP.NET apps and Python, it's not too hard to get
something out of order. It happened to me only once though before only a
restart could solve a problem.

> AFAICS, ls does *not* depend on SECUR32.DLL.  What does "cygcheck
> /bin/ls.exe" show?

Found: C:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/ls.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygintl-3.dll
    C:\cygwin\bin\cygiconv-2.dll

I have now returned to an old OpenSSH for Windows (setupssh371-20031015.exe)
which works like a charm. I'd rather not have it this way, but I have no
choice for the moment.

Another final thought: imho, the problem is probably caused by some
cygwin1.dll change between 1.5.4 and 1.5.11. The latter is the oldest
version that I tried that wouldn't work. Now I'm running 1.5.4 and all is
fine.

Igor