Re: $OS vs `uname -s` [Attn: base-files maintainer]

Eric Blake wrote:

If your setup is like mine, OS is an inherited environment variable, set
by Windows before bash is even started.  You can set it to whatever you
like.  Meanwhile, uname -s is not affected by the environment (you really
don't want an environment variable changing the uname output).  Hmm, maybe
we should update /etc/profile to do OS=`uname -s`.  Thoughts?

No, IMO leave it alone. We are on Windows and there are several flavours, I need to know if I'm on NT or Win98 and the few Windows environment settings are useful.

FWIW, it is not defined on my Slackware box:

$ ssh slackware -l root
root@slackware's password:
Last login: Thu Aug 11 19:43:51 2005
Linux 2.4.22.