Re: Windows hardening and system paths

Mikkel Rostock wrote:

> Cygwin uses some DLL-resources in Windows, but in my case, these DLLs reside
> in another location than the usual Windows system directory, so how can I
> tell Cygwin to (also) look for Windows resources in a different place than
> the usual system folder?

Cygwin doesn't know or care where DLLs are, it does not replace the
Windows dynamic linker.  The same rules apply for the search path of
DLLs for Cygwin as for any other program.  The MSDN LoadLibrary() API
documentation details this.  In short, just put it in the path.

> I can see, when I run the cygpath -W or cygpath -S that the Windows paths
> are /cygdrive/x/WINNT and /cygdrive/x/WINNT/SYSTEM32. Those I would probably
> want to change.

When you run cygpath -W, the result is the direct output of the
GetWindowsDirectory() function, converted to posix form.
<msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/sysinfo/base/getwindowsdirectory.asp>.
If that function returns C:\WINNT then that's where Windows thinks its
directory is.  If this is not correct then whatever method you did to
relocate this directory seems very suspect.

I do know that cygpath -W works correctly when the Windows directory is
not the stock location, as my current system has it in a custom place.
But I did this with a response file during installation, so Windows has
always known of this location from the start.

Brian