Re: Problem with using stripped cygwin1.dll built from CVS

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:36:56AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >I understand the problem.  It's a binutils bug that I'm investigating.
> >Either gas or ld is marking NOLOAD sections as "read only" and that is
> >causing windows to actually load them into memory.
>
> There's a new "test" version of binutils available which seems to fix
> this problem.  I'm awaiting approval for a patch in the binutils mailing
> list before making this version official.
>
> This turns out to have been a long-time bug in binutils, AFAICT.  The
> debug sections that the GNU linker produces were not properly marked
> as "noload" so debug data was actually loaded into memory.

I wish I would have known this was possible while working on DWARF 2
debugging.  Everything I read stated: "If it has a section header,
Windows' brain dead loader will load it regardless of section attributes".
I hope it really works on all supported platforms.

Do the RVA's for these sections still have to be consecutive?  If not,
DWARF 2 no longer needs a special reloc and can use the same method elf
targets do of mapping the .debug_* sections at an RVA of 0.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer