Problem compiling Setup but unsure if my install is hosed or is it the source or autoconf/automake

I debated asking this but I am now at a loss as to where to look next.  I had a
nice working Cygwin system and could compile my own copies of the Cygwin.dll
and more for my purposes a copy of Setup.exe.  I am using Win2k and have kept
my system up to date.  Last Friday my system experienced some malfunction that
apparently resulted in some FAT corruption.  I had to delete a file to even get
the ChkDsk to complete and it found many bad links in files and cross links ad
whatever.  Basically ended up loosing bits and pieces of several days.  Several
things were affected in my Cygwin environment as well (some of my CVS for Setup
and Cygwin and so on).  My CVS on Setup was hosed pretty badly to the point I
deleted it all and checked it out again from CVS.

Currently I am at the point where I can compile the Cygwin Dll and have several
times just for assurance but I cannot get the bootstrap.sh to run in Setup.  I
reinstalled all the Autoconf and automake and then reinstalled m4 and then
uninstalled them and reinstalled them and finally today I reinstalled all of
the packages I have installed and tried again to run bootstrap.sh - I still get
the following error:

~
$ cd /usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup
/usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup
$ ./bootstrap.sh
Running bootstrap.sh in libgetopt++
unknown channel $-5 at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 538
       Autom4te::Channels::msg('$-5', 'configure.in:14', 'warning: $-6') called
at /usr/bin/autom4te-2.5x line 1008
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
aclocal failed
Autotool bootstrapping failed. You will need to investigate and correct
before you can develop on this source tree
Continuing with bootstrap in current directory
unknown channel $-5 at /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/Channels.pm line 538
       Autom4te::Channels::msg('$-5', 'configure.in:32', 'warning: $-6') called
at /usr/bin/autom4te-2.5x line 1008
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1
aclocal failed
Autotool bootstrapping failed. You will need to investigate and correct
before you can develop on this source tree
/usr/develop/src/cygwin-apps/setup
$

I'm at a loss as to what else could be affecting this.  Short of removing
Cygwin completely and doing a fresh install - I'm at a loss.  As of this
writing even that has been accomplished since I have now installed cygwin on a
new Windows XP laptop and reinstalled my cygwin and setup cvs copies.  I can
still build cygwin - but same error above on setup.

Any ideas - has anyone else run into this or been able to compile setup in the
last few days.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

bk