how to kill windows process from bash shell?

Hi,
I need some help.
I have one windows process (WinXP)  that is running
from one cygwin window.

The process is hanging and I want to kill the process
from another cygwin window.
There is a separate spawned process from my program
C:\windows\system32\dwwin.exe
and it has a process number displayed when I run
ps -W in a separate cygwin process.

2480 1172 2480 2480 con 11293 13:14:32
/cygdriver/c/hw/destination/rundump.bat
2816 0 0 2816 ? 0 13:41:32 C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
2652 0 0 2652 ? 0 13:41:32
C:\hw\destination\cmodel\player\Player.exe
3412 0 0 3412 ? 0 13:41:32
C:\windows\system32\dwwin.exe
The dos batch file (rundump.bat) runs cmd.exe which
calls Player.exe which calls this dwwin.exe when error
occurs
which has message of

Player.exe has encountered a problem and needs to
close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
Send Error Report  Don't Send

As an example, it is process number 3412.
When I type
$ kill -9 3412
in the cygwin windows, it replies that the process
bash: kill: (3412) - No such process
or when I type
$ kill -f 3412
bash: kill: f: invalid signal specification

I'm not familiar with usage of kill -f, only kill -9
so I'm confused on what is the appropriate usage
to kill process 3412.  Also, trying to kill 2652 does
not work with same message.
I don't want to kill the original calling batch file
because I want to let it continue.
I only want to kill the hanging windows process.

David