This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
Re: beginner's questions
- From: Jim Drash <jim dot drash at gmail dot com>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:53:02 -0400
- Subject: Re: beginner's questions
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-to: Jim Drash <jim dot drash at gmail dot com>
> 1) I want to know if some software is installed in my
> cygwin. "whereis" and "urpmi" does not work. So how
> can i do this?
> 2) No login is required before connection. Am i root
> by default?
1) "urpmi" is a specifc wrapper on rpm that is used in Mandriva
(formerly Mandrake) Linux systems. Since Windows is not Linux and not
Mandriva, urpmi is not present. "whereis" (and many others) is
provided by the util-linux rpm on Mandrake. Again, since CygWin is not
Linux, this command is not included
2) You are not root but are the Windows user that you logged in as (On
Win 9x, there is no user) Again since this is not Linux "root" can be
moot (can be mapped to the Windows Administrator account),
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html