Re: Problem uninstalling/deleting cygwin

Neven Luetic wrote:

It says: "x cannot be deleted. Access denied. Maybe the source file is opened" (maybe this translation from german is bad, but I saw it before, so you'll recognize it).

Does any process have this file opened? Try using Process Explorer from SysInternals.com.

Process Explorer doesn't show anything (I looked for the handle "cygwin.old", i.e. the top level dir).

There are two different types of find in Process Explorer. Are you sure you tried both?

I killed any process that I could
(including explorer) and stopped AntiVir, Apache and mysql. No change.

Anyway, those stale links cannot be accessed as files at all. I can only see them using "ls" or apply chmod/chown on them. Nothing else. If I try "cat file", it says "No such file or directory". File zombies.

Symbolic links, in Cygwin for Windows, are not very much different than regular Windows Shortcuts (OK there are some differences and perhaps this is one of them). As such if you created a Windows shortcut to say a folder and later removed the folder you would expect, and Windows would handle, deleting the shortcut. As such I don't understand what the problem is here.

You could:

   * Make the file that the link it pointing to valid then try removing
     the link
   * Try removing the link with Cygwin's rm (you probably did this
     already, included for completeness)
   * Try removing the link with Windows Explorer
   * Try removing the link with DOS' DEL.
   * Try examining the shortcut's properties and security