SSH, SFTP, and NTSEC

I've researched this topic online for days and it seems like every one has their own solution or their own idea about how user authentication works in Cygwin.

What I CAN'T seem to find is a simple description of exactly what happens when a user tries to log in via SSH.? What is the flow of Cygwin's authentication process?? I assume it checks /etc/passwd and /etc/group, then somehow validates against Windows passwords.? But how?? Does it check passwd or group first?? Does the user have to have a group?? How does Cygwin compare groups in the group file to groups in Windows?

My problem is simple... I have users that I created that cannot log in via SSH unless I make them members of the Windows ADMINISTRATORS group on the Windows 2003 server that is running Cygwin.? I've tried everything I can think of and lots of stuff from other people that I could never have thought up myself.

Can anyone explain in detail the steps Cygwin goes through to authenticate a user via SSH?