Re: A vexing installation problem

Drat... Windows Update decided to install a "critical security fix"
last night, and today, Cygwin appears to be 100% dead in the water as
opposed to yesterday's 90%.  The security fix is supposed to be in
Internet Explorer so it might just be a coincidence.

I've attached "strace" output from running "ls".  The output is
slightly different from previous attempts, because I'd been able to
run the postinstall scripts to populate /etc/passwd and /etc/group;
but the failure mode appears unchanged, with death following shortly
after signals are enabled.  The trace is still slightly variable from
one run to the next; sometimes I get one or two messages about locks,
sometimes not.

By the way, this is a dual Xeon workstation, without hyperthreading.

-- Dave