Re: Setup failure: mount error

luke wrote:

At the moment, it looks like I'm going to have to scrub Windows and re-install it.

I suppose before that, I can try installing from our stable mirror.
Perhaps the Cygwin on the mirror site is badly buggy (despite all MD5
checksums being correct).

I got the identical result isntalling from our stable mirror of an older Cygwin, that's known to work. It didn't, on this Win2K laptop.

I'm currently running a file system check on the two local drives (both NTFS).

Both drives checked out okay. An install of the stable Cygwin failed anyway.

However I do notice that someone else reported the same problem in 2001:
In summary:

Upgraded to latest setup today (2.125.2.10) and tried to update my already-
existing installation. I have several systems with it installed, so I
download
the new packages first, then install from the local directory. Setup
downloaded
a few packages.

I tried to install onto a 50.3G FAT32 partition, with 28.5GB free. I
tried to
install from a 57.2G NTFS partition, with 23.4G free.

When I tried to install from the local directory, and after selecting the
packages recommended, setup instantly puts up a dialog box labeled
"mount" that
says "The operation completed successfully". Behind that box is the "Cygwin
Setup", and says "Installing...", The Package and Total indicator bars are
blank, and the button says "Cancel". Clicking OK on the "mount" box
terminates
the installation, with nothing installed.

I tried a complete install to a different partition from the local disk;
same
thing, although the directory structure is created.

but the person never came back with followup to the requested actions: