RE: non-interactive cygwin setup

  I thought if a GUI app called printf it generally caused a console to be
opened for it.  Maybe that's only with msvcrt.  In any case, the fact is
that it is being run from a cmdline and so it certainly can communicate with
the console.  The presence of command-line options in argc/argv could be
taken as a fairly strong hint that it was being run from a shell rather than
an icon.  And there's always "isatty (1)" if you really really want to be
sure.

    cheers,
      DaveK