Unable to change permissions on networked files, cygwin 1.5.11

Hi,

I'm experiencing problems with setting permissions on networked drives.
I have tried this on 2 different networks with the same results.

I have a network share from a Win2k machine with an assigned drive
letter (let's say F:). If I cd to a directory using
/cygdrive/f/some_directory and try to change the permissions on a file
using (for example):

chmod 755 some_file
  or
chmod 666 some_file

I get no error messages but the permissions do not change. This used to
work fine (a few months ago) and then, later, I started getting an
error message about being unable to change permissions but the
permissions WERE changed as expected (sorry, I don't remember the
Cygwin version). I have installed the latest snapshot but the problem
persists.

I didn't report this previously because I thought the network
administrator where I'm working may have done something to cause things
to break but I finally got around to setting up a simple 2-machine
network at home and confirmed that the problem exists there too.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail