Re: Wrapping long lines (Was Re: FAQ update suggestion for "I'm having basic problems with find. Why?")

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:03:00AM +0100, William Blunn wrote:
>Think of it this way:  If we had already accepted that the web archive
>system wrapped flowed text, and someone came up arguing that it should
>not "because it breaks long command lines", would they be given the time
>of day?

Let's see.  We're imagining things, are we?

*I* think that if the tables were reversed and someone said that "it
breaks long command lines" I would slap my forehead, say "What was I
thinking?" and personally send the person a check for $372.21.  Then
I would spend all of my available time, ignoring wife, children, and
job (pausing only to pat the dog occasionally) as I struggled to fix
the archiving software.

>I think not.  I think the counter argument would be "Yes we know it
>makes the occasional command-line appear line-wrapped, but that is a
>nano-issue compared to the downside which is that it will mess up the
>display for all the flowed messages, which is a far bigger issue."

Postulating how you think people would react and then using their
supposed reaction to bolster your argument really isn't a very
persuasive method for making a point.

cgf