Re: Problem to install a crontab

On Fri, June 18, 2004 7:07 pm, some person said:
> Hi Folks,
>

> this is he first time I try to get a crontab running. I installed the cron
> server as I found it in the archive with the following commands

> ----

<snip various doze commands>

> And then create a cron service using that account:
> cygrunsrv -I cron -p /usr/sbin/cron -a -D -u cron_server -w <passwd>
> ----
> I have the problem to install a crontab.
>

> $ crontab ~/bin/crontab
> chown: Invalid argument
>

> I don't know why chown is complaining that he get an Invalid argument,

First, why are you adding ~/bin/crontab as your users crontab? Traditionally, the bin directory, be it in / , /usr/local, /usr or ~/ is for binaries... Although as long as the file isn't actually a binary, that's not an issue.

The normal method for editing a crontab is to run crontab -e , unless you already have a perfectly set up crontab stored in a file that you want to import.
Note that this installs it as the user you are currently working as, as you haven't specified another user.

I suggest that you have a look at http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Include all the information asked for there.

Could you also show an ls -l ~/bin/crontab , and potentially, include the crontab itself?
The fact that chown is what is complaining suggests that either it's owned by the wrong user, and your user doesn't have sufficient rights to change it, or more likely (given the error message), it doesn't like the _ in the username cron_server ..

Chris

--
When the universe ends, the Restaurant will bring it back.