How to force Setup.exe to behave?

Nine days ago, this was "Using Setup.exe to uninstall -bogus".

Please help me figure out how to get Setup.exe to STOP TRYING TO INSTALL
X.
Setup.exe won't stop trying to snag unnecessary components.
What file(s) to I have to edit manually to make this happen?
What can I manually delete?
It's a remote system, so I can't uninstall Cygwin without losing control.

Little help?