Re: permission problems (and more)

At 04:43 PM 4/14/2004, you wrote:
>Running cygwin (on Windows 2000) for a few months, and
>finally decided that I wanted sshd and cron activated.
>
>Logged on as administrator and did:
>
>cron:
>cygrunsrv -I cron -p /bin/cron -a -D
>
>sshd:
>run the ssh-host-config script and answer the questions (I
>read several tutorials that all said about the same thing)

What about ssh-user-config?

>I did answer "tty ntsec" in response to the question about
>the CYGWIN environment string (instead of going through the
>environment variables string of system properties - and I
>noticed that it did not show up).

???

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/msg00379.html>

>The CYGWIN sshd service failed to start due to the following error:
>Access is denied.
>
>I have a rough idea of the problem (I don't think I have
>the right permissions on the necessary cygwin files).
>
>Can someone tell me:
>
>1. Who or what (service? system?) needs which permissions
>to make these work, and on which files?

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README

>2. Does some way exist so that I can start and stop these
>as a regular user?

That's a Windows question.  But you have to think, why would you
want a system where a regular user could start and stop services?

>3. Does any documentation exist on what permissions files
>should have (and can I recover from my present situation
>where I own most of the files as a regular user)?

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README and/or check out the email archives.

>3a. Does some way exist for a regular user (I know that "su"
>doesn't work) to get access to edit important cygwin files
>without having to log off and long in as administrator?

Yes.  'ssh'. ;-)

>4. When I finally get sshd working, can I log in as a domain
>user (and if so, how do I differentiate between a domain user
>and a local user when logging onto the machine)?

Make sure they have different user names in Windows or edit your /etc/passwd
file to change the _name_ (only!) of one to something unique.

Holliston, MA 01746