Re: 1.5.7: Problems with german umlauts in bash/rxvt command line

* Alejandro Lopez-Valencia (2004-02-27 14:42 +0100)
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 12:35:23 +0100, Thorsten Kampe wrote in
> <slzvxi996kss.dlg@thorstenkampe.de>:
>> although typing non-ascii characters in a
>>shell doesn't make sense. The only use is showing files with ls or d -
>>which is not a shell thing.
>
> Really?
>
> Say, you use cygwin to do text processing (I do, with the help of a
> bleeding edge groff), and in a whim you decide to write poetry to your
> girlfirend. Being a German speaker, you type, e.g.,
> "Lieder_für_meine_geliebte.tr".
>
> Did you or did you not need to type high-bit charecters in your shell?
> (Don't say you type them from within your editor, that's cheating).

I simply wouldn't generate filenames with non-ascii characters in a
shell. Same with spaces. Sooner or later some application will choke
on it and it'll take me hours to search and find the script or
application and fix it or make a workaround.

"Lieder_fuer_meine_Geliebte.tr" suffices and probably I'd call it
"poems_for_my_sweetheart.txt" because she comes from Poland and we
communicate in English... :-)

Thorsten